March 31, 2003

Good day all.

Yesterday
I went to Point Reyes over at north bay with siqi and sean. We walked over the cliff to the middle of the beach through beds of wild purple irises. Sean took some pictures along the way on his SLR; i hope they come out well. I found a great walking stick (come check it out) in a pile of ocean-smoothed rubbish (giant tire with Pacifco 6 pack inside, melted down foam pads, rocks, driftwood, plastic battery cap with "Caution -- explosive" on it which i wanted to keep as a souvenir, but since it is toxic, i decided to get my walking stick instead, which is a long branch of driftwood, and very handy). We saw four starfishes in the little tidepools at that beach. I collected some smooth stones and one that looks like a skull. At the other beach (I really dont remember the names), where the sand is coarser, the waves were crashing much fiercer. So, Siqi and i decided to play a game of how close can you get to the tide before it crashes down. Luckily (since we are both really stealthy) neither of us got really wet, but Sean got his shoes and socks wet. Then, we played fetch with the ocean--hurling a stick at the sea and waiting for it to send it back to us. (Really! it comes back, and then you can play fetch with it over and over again).

Ahh the wonders of the ocean. How can you ever get bored of the ocean.

Lastly, I still wonder why the stupid cod-shaped wooden weather vane from Massachusetts is valued at $15,000 while the New England silver cream saucer with Chinese patterns and etching (circa 1780s) is only $9,000! New York Antiques Road Show ... demonstrates what America treasures.

Two days ago
Kamal and I went to see the Stuttgart Ballet "Romeo and Juliet," very expressive and great great costumes, but a little lacking in virtuousity. We agreed they needed more jumps and solos. But, for fifty four bucks, NOT BAD! Kamal and I will be ready to go to the next ballet that comes to Zellerbach, but next time, we will get mezzanine instead of balcony (blegh! stupid safety railing in line of sight). Everytime I go to the ballet I think: (1) beautiful, (2) I wish i was a ballerina, (3) I want to do stage design, (4) I want to design costumes. Eventually ... maybe if I find myself in New York, I can try to get some in road to the theatre world. Sweet!

Few days ago
I was looking through all the books I read when I was a kid ... geez the memories. Those were the days. Your only aim in life was to learn and find out new things. And the awesome thing was, the new things you learned never depressed you! (Whereas, at this age, almost every new bit of information you get somehow changes your pristine perception of the world). I looked through my Richard Scarry books (so great), Babar, fairy tale collection, Aesop's fables, Childbook encyclopedia, and science and language textbooks from the 1950s. I read a lot of fiction after I turned nine: Ari, Maguerite Henry, Laura Ingalls Wilder, CS Lewis, EB White were some of my favorites. After that, I had a science fiction stint with Michael Crichton, Orson Scott Card, and some more obscure authors that can barely remember (something about monkeys gaining sentience). After high school, it became Haruki Murakami. And I just can't find anything better at this time. I hate those books that are too adult and really snobby. So, I have to read these dreamy-ass reminiscing books that make no sense and have no conclusions. Alas, from whence I came?

But the most marvelous thing was, I had these great dreams about how everyone loved me because I was so nice to them, and it made me feel wonderful! And I can recognize haute couture in my sleep! This break, at home, I was really happy for the first time in a long long time.

No comments: