August 12, 2004

Songs

I had another lazy-ass insomniac night. Spending about five hours in the middle of the living room (where my computer's set up due to the short Cat-5) going through the 'remnants' of my computa-music collection (because ALL of my cd's were stolen out of my car a few weeks ago), I listened to all the old stuff straight out of junior and senior high school, and early college. Oh shit! SO much good stuff! I went back to De La Soul, Pharcyde, ... LL Cool J, Rappin 4-Tay, Warren G and Nate Dogg, Tamia, Binary Star, Outkast's Aquemini album, Musiq, Jill Scott! (I can add Jean Grae to this collection now, too; thanks Paul). It's ... what's the word? ... transcendent. I just escaped back to the good old days, when I was really lounging and didn't have a care in the world. What's that feeling you get when you're little, you let go of your mom's hand for a second, and you lose her ... and all of a sudden, your mom calls your name from somewhere?

And then I went back to bed and feel asleep.

Reclaiming your past is better than antidepressants. I'm as happy as a pug in a Burberry raincoat.

No comments: