July 21, 2005

Boxes, Anyone?



Moving day is approaching. Moving is so tedious, I was determined early this year to never live in a very large place and to not accumulate a lot of possessions I don't need. If I had a 150 sq ft apartment, here are the things to take: bed, toiletries, clothes and shoes, all books and magazines, laptop, external harddrive, wacom tablet, turntable equipment, speakers, a chair, a shelving system, a mirror, suitcases, and an umbrella. (Hm. It still seems like a lot.)

But then, I've been having sweet dreams about lounging in my B&B Italia couch and entertaining guests in Eames chairs (strange that my fantasy interior looks like a mismatched airport lounge). The Eames did come up with some great fabric ...



Anyway, besides that, I've been having these fantasies about going back to Shanghai and starting my own design firm. I am hampered by the fear of not knowing how to read, which is quite foolish, because there, you don't need to be literate; just cunning. Having been educated in the States would be advantage over the market enough, but that also kind of scares me. I don't want to take advantage of anything!

Yet, in this country, I am a woman in her early twenties without any large decision-making roles. I do logistics, and I believe, without arrogance, it is a great waste. Making young people "pay their dues" is absurd and elitist. I believe the smartest thing to do as a manager is to recognize the intelligence of youth and use it. Unfortunately, things do not run so smoothly in most businesses.

After working about a year doing logistics, I should know that I have no desire to be doing this kind of work for much longer. My goal is to become self-employed or working in art as soon as I can.

No comments: